Category:I600 Introduction to Computers and Informatics
In this course we'll give an introduction to variety of topics.
Points: 6 ECTS
Grading: homework + exam
Lecturer: Lauri Võsandi
Introduction to computer hardware
- Follow instructions on Getting started with Ubuntu
- Place your preferred ISO image to a memory stick using
ddor Win32 Disk Imager and boot it on your personal laptop.
- Open up terminal by pressing
cat /proc/cpuinfoand check what CPU model and how many cores your computer has.
cat /proc/meminfoand check how much RAM your computer has.
lspci -t -v -nnto enuerate PCI and PCI Express devices.
lsusband lsusb -t to enumerate USB devices.
fdisk -lto enumerate disks and partitions.
lsblkto enumerate block devices.
xrandrto enumerate display outputs.
alsamixerto check which audio devices are available, use
F6to select between audio devices.
dmidecodeto see even more information about your computer.
ifconfig -ato list all network interfaces.
- What audio card is your machine using? What bus is it using?
- What graphics controller is your machine using? How is it connected to your machine? What video output resolutions are available and which one is currently used?
- What webcam is your machine using? What bus is it using?
- What wired network chipset your computer has? What bus is it using?
- What wireless network chipset your computer has? What bus is it using?
- What bluetooth device your computer has? What bus is it using?
- Is there a cellular modem connected and how it's connected?
- Boot the ISO image in VirtualBox and follow the same steps as above, what are the differences and why?
- Collect command outputs, answer to questions and send it as plain text e-mail to lauri [dotchka] vosandi [plus] i600 [ät] gmail [dotchka] com
Potential exam questions:
- Different buses and their uses
- What are the differences between HDD and SDD? 
- What are difference between volatile/non-volatile, RAM, ROM, EEPROM and where are they used?
- What are difference between asynchronous/synchronous, dynmic/static RAM and where are they used?
- What is cache? What is cache coherence? 
- What are differences between resistive and capacitive touchscreen? 
- Name screen technologies making use of TFT technology? 
- What are the differences between linear vs switching power regulation? 
- Name uses for light polarization filters?
- What are the benefits of twisted pair cabling and differential signalling?
- Active matrix vs passive matrix in display technology
- What is resistance? Capacitance? Inductance?
Jargon: CPU, RAM, ROM, HDD, SSD, PCI, PCI Express, USB 2.0, USB 3.0, VGA, HDMI, DVI, LCD, TFT, LED, AMOLED,
This category currently contains no pages or media.