Category:I600 Introduction to Computers and Informatics
In this course we'll give an introduction to variety of topics.
Points: 6 ECTS
Grading: homework + exam
Lecturer: Lauri Võsandi
Introduction to computer hardware
Jargon: Hard disk drive (HDD), Solid state drive (SSD), conventional PCI, PCI Express, USB2.
- Different buses and their uses
- What are the differences between HDD and SDD? 
- What are difference between volatile/non-volatile, RAM, ROM, EEPROM and where are they used?
- What are difference between asynchronous/synchronous, dynmic/static RAM and where are they used?
- What is cache? What is cache coherence? 
- What are differences between resistive and capacitive touchscreen? 
- Name screen technologies making use of TFT technology? 
- What are the differences between linear vs switching power regulation? Understanding
- Name uses for light polarization filters?
- What are the benefits of twisted pair and differential signaling?
- Active matrix vs passive matrix in display technology
- What is resistance? Capacitance? Inductance?
This category currently contains no pages or media.